What is a night time routine and why is it so important?
A night time routine is certain steps you take a little while before you want to sleep so that your body begins to learn and understand what is going to happen next (AKA bedtime!). This allows you to sleep faster, easier and more deeply and increases the likelihood of staying asleep until morning!
It’s a pretty well known fact that children benefit greatly from having a consistent bedtime routine and going to sleep at roughly the same time every night. They perform better in activities, increase their attention and improve their memory and cognitive flexibility.
But what if I were to tell you that it’s not just children who benefit from this?
New research shows us that not only do adults need to get enough sleep, but they also require consistent sleep routines. Studies show the more irregular sleep pattern, the higher risk for obesity, hypertension, elevated blood sugar and even increased risk of developing heart disease! Need I say more? In order to stick to regular sleep times and routines, a night time routine is super helpful.
Here’s some pointers:
- No caffeine or stimulants 6 hours before bed (coffee/tea/alcohol)
- Create a peaceful and quiet environment to relax in
- Start a ritual like reading a book, listening to calming music or taking a bath to signal to your body that it’s time to settle down
- Aim to be around warm light (no LED) that is dimmed, signalling to your body that it is night time
- Try to keep a set bedtime that your body will begin to understand is the time to wind down
There are some other things like drinking chamomile tea 1-2 hours before bed, spraying lavender on your pillow/around your bedroom or taking a supplement like NeuroCalm Sleep to relax and calm your body and mind.
Try following some of these tips and tricks to prepare your mind and body for bed tonight! These are all easy steps that can be incorporated into your nightly routine that don’t require extra cost or time.
We’ve got your back!
ALIGN CHIROPRACTIC HEALTH CLINIC